Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A quick messenger bag

So, on Monday, my daughter got invited to a last minute birthday party. Instead of buying the entire gift, we decided (or shall we say I decided), that a little messenger bag would be really cute. We could then go and buy a couple of little things to put inside the bag. There is nothing like saving a little money!! More money to spend on fabric perhaps???

The party was on Tuesday at 3. I started making the bag at about 11 ... And sure enough, I had lots of time! I was finished by about 1:30.

I used the pattern in the One yard wonders book.

P8031092

P8031091

I used a blue polka dot canvas for the outside of the bag. I picked this up on sale at IKEA for $2.99 a metre.

P8031089

Then, my daughter picked a stripe that I got from Fabric.com during that Westiminister sale. I think it was $3.95/yard.

P8031090

The pattern was pretty simple, although I did have to use the handy seam ripper. I am not sure if it was me, trying to go to fast, or if the directions could have been a little clearer. When I was sewing the lining into the bag, I put the flap and the strap on the wrong side of the seam I was sewing. It ended up being inside the lining instead of outside ... so I had to rip it out and start again. Oops.

In the end, I think it turned out pretty cute??

The finished bag

Inside of the bag

up close

The birthday girl seemed pleased with it - so really, that's all that matters!!

3 comments:

  1. How amazing, you whipped up a bag for a present the same day! It looks great too!
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so cute! I love the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete