Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A coin purse for camp

My daughter (and son) are both at summer camp this week. When my daughter came home today, she asked if I could make her a coin purse to put her money for tuck shop in. Sure!! I love that I could whip it up pretty fast, and maybe show a little tutorial here too!!

She choose the materials:

P8181152

She was insistent that the stripes be on the outside and the flowers on the inside. AND she wanted the blue zipper.

I cut the fabric to 5 x 8 inches, and just made sure the zipper was a little longer than the short side (I think it was a 7" zipper). I also cut a piece of fusible interfacing the same size.

First, I ironed the interfacing to the striped fabric, just to give it a little more stiffness.

P8181153

Then I centred the zipper on the striped fabric at the top (shorter) edge and using a zipper foot, sewed the zipper to the fabric.

P8181154

P8181155


This my friends is where things went wrong ... do you know what I did wrong??? Well - I forgot about the little girl who wanted a lining in her coin purse!! Oh well ... I didn't feel like ripping things out, so I finished it up anyway - then made another one after with a lining!! She was okay with a red zipper instead, since I didn't have a blue one left. oops - serves me right for trying to "whip" something up!!

So, anyway, after sewing the first side of the zipper on, you fold the fabric up, with right sides together, and sew the zipper to the other side of the fabric. Here, you want to make sure the sides of the fabric line up.

P8181156

Okay. Next, you sew up one of the sides. I sewed a couple of times over the zipper just to give it a little strength.

P8181158

Finally, you need to sew up the other side = but = make sure you open up the zipper first so you can turn it the right way out!! Before you flip it right side out, you just need to clip the zipper, and the corners too, and then you are DONE!!

P8181159

P8181160

P8181161

P8181162

Since I wanted to make another with a lining, the instructions are the same, just first, I sewed the two pieces of fabric together (leaving a little spot to turn the fabric the right way), and I also made the zipper part way down the coin purse.

P8181167

She loved both, so I would say my mess up worked out just fine : ) Now - I just need to re-paint her nails and we are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment